Most people are aware that C is one of the most used programming languages out there. But do you want to know the best part? It was written as Mark Canlas on Quora says in C. Of course, if you want to become an expert at using one of the most popular languages you have to start from the basics and one of the places where you will probably be asked to start is with understanding what is printf and scanf in C programming. These are a couple of the most basic commands that you will need to understand and master.
The command scanf looks like scanf (“format string”, argument list). It is there to take an input, usually from the keyboard if that is the default device. While printf is an output command and printf () will output a string, character, float, integer, hexadecimal or octal value, to the output device which is usually the screen by default.
So, the main difference is that one is for reading an input (scanf) while the other is for providing an output from the program (printf). Answering your assignment in this area need not be difficult nor should any other C assignment is you approach your assignments with care.
Tips for Writing Your What Is Printf and Scanf in C Programming Assignment
C is a valuable programming language to learn and can help with understanding most other languages that you will encounter.
Of course, getting your assignments completed accurately will help you to get the grades and other results that you want as well as of course enhancing your knowledge of C.
The following computer programming help advice will assist you:
- Your class lessons are where you will gain most of the knowledge for answering your assignments; so it is very important that you pay attention and also do all of the reading that is requested of you.
- Have a quiet place to study that is free of all distractions including your phone and FaceBook.
- To teach yourself PLC programming or any other form of computing you will need to put in the time; have a set time each and every day so that you have a clear routine to get the work done. Don’t put off assignments f.e. teach yourself plc programming until the last minute.
- Ensure that you fully understand the instructions for your assignment; if you don’t ask your tutor for clarification before you start.
- An outline of how you will answer your C programming assignment will save you a huge amount of time in the long run as well as highlight any issues you may face.
- Samples can help with your understanding and are a good way to learn; however do not simply just copy them as your own answer.
- Studying with a friend or a group is also a great way to enhance your learning and understanding. However, do not all submit the exact same homework.
- If you are asked to provide code keep it simple and clear; and test it to make sure that it works.
- Backup your work on a flash drive on a regular basis, your tutor is unlikely to accept any excuses for lost work.
- Proofread your writing, good spelling and grammar are as important on this subject as any other.
Learning C and all of the different required commands is not easy work, and if you are going to program in this area you will need to do the work that is required and do it well.
If you’ve been coding with the C language for a while, then we are pretty sure you’ve come across printf and scanf at one point or the other. That being said, do you have a good command of the difference between the two? If not, then we would like to point out some vital differences between these two functions as described in detail.
Definition of Printf and Scanf
Printf – printf is a short form of print formatted. This function is designed to display any formatted content or output that is requested by the user. The name was coined back in the earlier coding days when the main source of displaying output was the printer instead of the high-tech video displays we have today.
Scanf – scanf can be considered the polar opposite of printf in that it is used to input certain content (such as specific variables) by the user into the code for testing. In other terms, it is used to read numeric data, string and characters that have been inputted from the keyboard.
Both printf and scanf are library functions that have been inbuilt within the C programming; meaning they are default within C. Hence, we have to call out the library by using ‘stdio.h’ before using these functions.
Functions of Printf()
In C language, printf() is used in the following ways:
- It is used whenever an integer, character, float, octal, string or hexadecimal value needs to be printed onto the screen
- When using print f, we use the following specifiers for each of the above-mentioned data types:
- %d- integer
- %f-float variable
- %If-for double
- %x-hexadecimal variable
- \n- generate a new line
- %o- octal value
Note: One thing you have to be aware of is that C language is highly case sensitive. That being said, both printf() and scanf() functions should always be written in lower case.
Functions of Scanf
Scanf is used in the following ways:
- As aforementioned, scanf is used to input user information typed from the keyboard.
- When values are keyed in, they are assigned in the following ways:
- “ch”- character
Note: scanf() has no return value or output displayed on the screen.