How to Learn PLC Programming
Today, almost every area of our lives is connected with automation. Industry and manufacturing are no exceptions, as even the most traditional industries today actively implement high technologies to make the process easier and more effective. That trend requires specialists that would be pros in a very specific niche of programming. One of them is PLC programming. Let’s discuss how to learn PLC programming in our coding assignment blog.
What Is PLC Programming in Brief
First, what is PLC? This term is used for programmable logic controllers that are used in various industrial goals. In fact, PLCs are ancestors of relays used earlier to perform the same controlling functions mechanically. The PLC has a set of input terminals that can be used to monitor the status of sensors and switches. There are also output terminals that provide a “high” or “low” signal to power indicators, solenoid valves, small motors, and other self-monitoring devices.
They are quite easy to program because PLC programming languages resemble relay logic. The modern logic of the control system is installed in the PLC by means of a computer program. This program determines which outputs are energized and under which input conditions.
Although the program itself resembles a relay logic diagram, there are no switch contacts or relay coils operating inside the PLC to create connections between input and output. These contacts and coils are imaginary. The program is written and viewed using a personal computer connected to the PLC programming port.
So, when you ask what is PLC programming, the answer is simple. That is the process of the creation of the program that will help a controller to perform its functions.
What You Should Learn to Be a Good PLC Programmer
If you are going to learn PLC programming, you should know that this IT niche has its peculiarities. So being a good PLC programmer includes getting skills and knowledge in the following areas:
- Computer sciences. That is the base you should have for your successful work.
- HMI knowledge. This is also a must for PLC programming.
- Analytic thinking. Developing analytic thinking is one of the main tasks when you learn PLC programming.
- PLC programming languages. They are not the same as casual coding frameworks. These are Ladder Diagram. SFC, ST, and FBD you should comprehend to gain success.
- Principles of mechanics and engineering as your work will be connected with them greatly.
So, if you choose a PLC programming course as your major, you should get these pieces of knowledge from your studies.
Where to Learn PLC Programming for Beginners
Many novices of IT professionals seek to expand their stack of knowledge and additionally acquire PLC programming skills. It also remains no less important for engineers who work directly with such controllers in factories and plants. Where can you get the knowledge you need? There are several options:
- Choose PLC programming as your major when applying to a university or college. You may have to select a broader specialty offered by the university if there are no courses devoted strictly to PLC, but you can always check at the time of admission if the program of study includes a PLC programming course.
- Take online courses. Today, PLC programming tutorials are offered by many independent trainers and courses. Get assignments, listen to lectures and workshops online, and gradually you will be able to master this area. This method is workable if you have skills for self-training, and you can concentrate on your learning well.
- Internship directly at the factory. This option is well suited for graduates who have received related specialities in IT or engineering, as well as for pros who want to change their specific area. In the end, practical skills are best obtained in real conditions.
- Try self-study. Learning PLC programming tutorial is quite possible by yourself. Books, instructional videos, and training pieces are quite available today.
And remember that if you have a problem with your PLC programming tasks, we will always help you. Just leave a request and get help from experienced professionals in the field of PLC programming. We will not only help you complete your homework, but also advise on all the main issues that you have with it. You get more than the result. You gain knowledge and experience shared by our specialists.
PLC programming is that niche in the IT industry that will not lose its relevance, as automation in the world industry is only growing now. So choosing it to study is a good idea, especially if you are interested not only in programming, but also in the basics of mechanics, engineering, and computer science in general.